Monday 13 December 2010

I have received some amazing and extreme personal abuse as a result of the last post: some of it is bent towards support of the mob (the so-called protesting majority) and some of it is bent towards support for Chas 'n' Camilla (as Private Eye put it Chas: "married at last" - The Queen " - yes - and to each other!") and one individual even uses it as a pivot on which to spin remarks that have the post as a starting point and a criticism of my life in Brazil as the butt end of nastiness. This morning's first correspondent suggests that I am the backend of a horse and spells the crux of the suggestion as though I were merely a donkey. I just will not be intimidated into giving up my blog and to those of you who come in here to express hatred, spite and bile and even to write obscenity, I say: find something better to do with your time; it is also worth mentioning that the law relating to harassment (the criminal law and the civil law), both probably apply to intervening abusively in personal blogs.

I still like the picture of Chas 'n' Camilla because it perfectly captures a moment and shows us the real faces of people who otherwise progress through life with faces like frozen cod: whether it is a good or a bad moment is beside the point. The world is a better place because it has on record photographs of the relief of Belsen and Auschwitz and the other death camps. They are not nice to look at but they tell us something and warn us of the power of utter evil.

One correspondent (an identifiable 'Anon') mentions that Charles' clothes are "right up my London street". This is nonsense. I think the fact that Chas's skimpy ties are always tied so tightly, in those miserable little hard knots, suggests a serious uptightness and any Prince of Wales (with the millions a year from the Duchy of Cornwall) who could not be tolerably well-dressed (even the thick-headed Dook of Windsor) would need to have his donkey kicked.

7 comments:

  1. Had no idea you were ducking brickbats! I for one quietly enjoy your blog and look forward to your book releases. Consider this a small message of encouragement...HGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you HGB. I appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not see how one could stand up for civility and not treat you as such. My disagreement with you is just that--a disagreement. I will continue to read your blog, which I have truly come to enjoy, and I will also continue to disagree with you on the picture. I second your policy on anon posts. See you in the cloud.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gerard - I wasn't referring to your reaction. Of course we can disagree about the picture. I fear that part of being in the public eye - being just about public property must be very awkward and there are bound to be people who take advantage of that. I repeat that I am not condoning the violence that led to the situation recorded in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, NJS. Since you posted my response, I did not take personally your lastest about the abuse you had suffered. I hesitate to use this phrase, but gentleman can disagree. I thought it important to add some support for you as I truly enjoy the blog. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone suggested you were cordovan?

    secret word capta is pomy t - no comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. fxh - Cordovan or crup ... what does the second line of your post mean?

    ReplyDelete