Friday 18 February 2011

Style Icon VIII: George Sanders


I have just lost the text that I had written for this about George Sanders (1906-1972). I believe that this was caused by an anti-virus merchant interfering with my computer because I refuse to subscribe to its products. Does anyone else have this kind of experience with these twisters? I shall have to come back to the text later as I am pushed for time.

Meanwhile, in the above stills, he is playing, in order: Jack Favell "Rebecca's favourite cousin", in Hitchcock's Rebecca (1940); theatre critic Addison De Witt in All About Eve (1950), for which he won the Oscar for best supporting actor, and Benjamin Ballon in Pink Panther sequel A Shot in The Dark (1964).

That's all for the moment from cyber The Village of The Damned!

As for the rest: out of all his many films, maybe he will be most remembered for Rebecca; All About Eve;; playing Leslie Charteris' Saint, long before Roger Moore; The Ghost and Mrs Muir (1947), and, of course as the voice of Shere Khan in the animation film of Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book (1967). He had a well modulated baritone singing voice that brought him a part (which he declined) in Show Boat and was also an accomplished pianist. Four failed marriages, a career in the doldrums and declining health led him to kill himself in Spain in 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment