Tuesday 28 September 2010

A Rose For Mrs Miniver


In his stirring wartime film, Mrs Miniver (MGM 1942), starring Greer Garson in the title role, William Wyler includes in the storyline the naming of a rose after Mrs Miniver, as a symbol of steadfastness. Even after a little research, it is not clear to me whether any real rose was ever called this in tribute but I have a source that will know and then, if the rose exists, also what it looks like. I have seen a suggestion that there are some roses called this planted outside the Imperial War Museum. Until the matter is clarified, the above is an artist's impression of this rose (artist Irina Ohl).

1 comment:

  1. All day long I was threading the vine of fraudulent relationships; is it sufficient; this piece with that? How much in terms of value is it worth? Does it all fit nicely together?

    Then this evening I saw The Caretaker at the local theatre; Pinter's dialogue had such an interrogative quality about it; the pace (when it is "recited" well is both alarming and stunning; the words spill all over us. I think that his art was perfect. If he had been a composer surely his use of counterpoint would have been bloody ace.

    As to roses I love the Burns not because it is a traditional love poem but because of its melody; its dance and I (along with practically everybody) love to hum it, sing it and tap my toes to its harmonies!!!!!!!!!!!!

    A Red, Red Rose

    by Robert Burns

    O my luve's like a red, red rose.

    That's newly sprung in June;

    O my luve's like a melodie

    That's sweetly play'd in tune.

    As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,

    So deep in luve am I;

    And I will love thee still, my Dear,

    Till a'the seas gang dry.

    Till a' the seas gang dry, my Dear,

    And the rocks melt wi' the sun:

    I will luve thee still, my Dear,

    While the sands o'life shall run.

    And fare thee weel my only Luve!

    And fare thee weel a while!

    And I will come again, my Luve,

    Tho' it were ten thousand mile!

    ReplyDelete